Join AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members provide service that aims to eliminate poverty. What members do in Iowa:
- Help to build capacity in nonprofits, government agencies, and faith-based groups.
- Work to decrease school achievement gaps, improve civil rights, increase availability of affordable housing, and coordinate response to disasters.
- Rather than offering direct service, AmeriCorps VISTA activities emphasize tasks such as fundraising, grant writing, creating training programs, and developing or improving agency systems.
Current VISTA openings in Iowa
Grand Avenue Community Outreach, Volunteer Coordinator VISTA
GACO, located near the Iowa Great Lakes in Spencer IA is seeking a Volunteer Coordinator to organize, develop, and implement a comprehensive volunteer network to support the services we provide to the community.
Heal House of Iowa, VISTA Special Projects Coordinator
Do you like communicating your passion for helping people using a broad palate of tools that include social media as well as collaborative communication strategies? Are you comfortable empathizing with the stories of America’s most fragile and creating and analyzing databases to help them rise out of poverty? If the answer is yes! we need you at the Heal House of Iowa.
HOPE Agency, VISTA Workforce Capacity Coordinator
HOPE Agency is looking for an enthusiastic individual that has a passion for making the world a little brighter. The VISTA member will implement a business plan for PawsAbilities including site specifications, code requirements, health regulations. If you are interested in learning more about how to start a business, this is a on-the-job opportunity! And, yes, you get to work with animals at the PawsAbility Doggie Daycare!
Volunteer Iowa, VISTA Leader
Do you have experience as an AmeriCorps member, or are you a returned Peace Corps volunteer that wants to continue making a difference in your community? Volunteer Iowa is seeking an experienced AmeriCorps member to promote volunteerism and national service in Iowa.
Serve as a VISTA with Volunteer Iowa
The Volunteer Iowa AmeriCorps VISTA project places members with host sites throughout the state of Iowa, focusing on Education, Economic Opportunity and Healthy Futures initiatives in close collaboration with the Governor’s Office to combat poverty in the state of Iowa.
Who can join?
AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older. You do not need to be a resident of Iowa to accept a Volunteer Iowa VISTA position.
What are the benefits?
In addition to the personal and professional benefits of serving your country, here’s a list of the benefits Volunteer Iowa VISTA members receive:
- Receive a modest living allowance of $22,880 to cover basic expenses
- Earn an education award of $6895 for college or trade school (may be transferred to qualifying family member); or choose $1800 cash
- Be provided Loan Deferment and Interest Forbearance if you have existing qualified student loans
- Gain professional development opportunities and transferable skills employers value
- Get Non-Competitive Eligibility for a federal job without having to compete with the general public
- If eligible, participate in the Health Benefit program and/or receive child care benefits
- Virtual service positions available, must live in Iowa
Where can I serve?
Current openings in Iowa can be found at the top of this page.
How can I apply?
All applications are submitted through the MyAmeriCorps portal. Create an application, and once it’s complete you may submit it to as many positions as you would like.
What if I have questions?
Contact our VISTA Program Officer: Jana Daisy, 515.348.6263, email@example.com.